Thursday, September 13, 2007


see full image here

i know this is rather off-topic, but i stumbled across this image the other day… and it's just stayed with me… and made me think of so many things…

… about when i was young, playing in my backyard (when i was still allowed to play in the mud!) and all the wonders i discovered, like watching a tadpole turn into a frog…

… about when i was scared or nervous and my first reaction would be to stare down at my hands in shame or embarrassment… and how i still do that, even though i wish i wouldn't…

…about when clare was a newborn… how, when i held her, her hands seemed so tiny, with paper-thin fingernails that looked so delicate, but would scratch her up if i didn't stay on top of the scary nail clipping that i hated to do for fear of hurting her…

… about how those little hands that used to desperately cling to mine are growing… and starting to let go to so she can discover her own path… about how much that scares me, but – more so – about how proud i am of her…

…of my grandfather… and how gigantic and safe his hands seemed when i was little.. and how, in the last few months of his life, when i didn't think the doctors could possibly stick any more needles into that fragile skin… how he still smiled… brave and wonderful… always…

… about my hubby… whose hands shield me, protect me and comfort me… when he takes my hand, no one can hurt me… and i love him for it…

… of my dear friend sylvia… whose hand i miss holding and can't wait to again…

… about all the blessed creatures i've been so lucky to have in my life… furry (and some not much) companions who, simply by petting or holding or talking to, have made my life happier…

…about the beautiful peace i find when i meditate… my hands folded in my lap… and how the world just makes a lot more sense… i need to do that more often…

…about my own hands… stronger than i ever thought they'd be… but now the signs of aging are increasing, almost imperceptibly, year by year… and about how i'm accepting and trying to embrace the rigors and infinite delicacy of life… as well as my mortality…

… about how hands can communicate a million different things with a simple gesture… honor, disrespect, love, hate, pride, shame… it's all there… you just have to pay attention...

…about how different we all are… yet how very much alike… we all want a hand to hold, a hand to comfort, a hand to help us realize our full potential…a hand to reach out to us…

who have you reached out to lately?

No comments: